Wednesday, October 17, 2007

NaNoWriMo Preparation

I've been doing research in preparation for the NaNoWriMo 50,000 word sprint beginning November 1st.

So far I've researched:

  1. 9-11 timelines with special emphasis on the resulting Afghanistan and Iraq wars, including the gradual rise of the maximum age for military service. This is mainly for current event inclusion during the time the story takes place (except for the military age thing and I'm not sure where that fits yet).
  2. The Sago Mine Disaster timeline, including Randal McCloy's recovery. This was a major event for the entire world, but particularly those of us who have ties to the Appalachian coal country. If it effected me so profoundly, then of course it effected my characters who also live in West Virginia.
  3. Chilton repair guides for a 1984 Ford Ranger. I was surprised to learn that the Chilton Manuals are out of favor and Haynes is the new book to have. However, I also learned that Haynes published all the Chilton Manuals prior to the front cover name change.
  4. Drink recipes from the viewpoint of a bartender.

Now I have to put the timelines in order. Then, using a list of potential scenes (that does not exist yet), I'll figure out where everything fits chronologically. Essentially, I'll create a new timeline that incorporates real and fictional events.

Chronology was a big issue of confusion for me during Vultures and it only covered the span of a couple of weeks. Apparently I hope to avoid that this time around with the technique of excessive -and possibly unnecessary- planning.

I'll write more over the next few days about planning and plotting.

No comments: