Monday, July 14, 2008

Oregon Trip - Post 1

I have no idea how many Oregon posts there will be, but I'll start here.

I flew into Portland and stayed in Troutdale, about 10 miles east. I stayed in a box motel: brand-name, clean, basic, suburban.
Fine, but definitely nothing exciting.

The main street tourist business district, however, was pretty cool. It's a perfect example of what Grafton is heading towards, so I found it particularly interesting.

The first thing I took an interest in was this bronze casting gallery:


I would have stopped in for myself, but because my friend, Debbie, is starting to cast some of her creations in bronze, I was excited to see that they had tours of the foundry (is that the proper name for art casting?). Unfortunately, the tours were closed for remodeling, so I had to settle for the display Gallery.
The Gallery was hard to miss with this life-sized moose sitting on the sidewalk out front:





Inside there were more life-sized creatures:











Come to find out, Debbie has already been there. She even got the tour.

I have more pictures of bronze sculptures in the city park. I'll post those next....

No comments: