Friday, July 18, 2008

Oregon Trip - Post 6 - BIG

One thing that has always impressed me about Oregon is the SIZE of things; Texas should be jealous.
When we lived out there a decade-plus ago, the blackberries were as big as ping-pong balls.
And, no, I am not kidding. Not exaggerating, either.

I think this is actually a raspberry bloom, but it makes the size of it even more impressive:



This leaf, which was beside the yellow train car, was bigger than my head (no, I did not get my head in the picture as a size-reference):

And this:

was absolutely the most impressive slug I ever saw. It was on a foot bridge, having crawled up through the cracks (I could tell by its trail of slime, which was pretty impressive, too, though it didn't show up in the picture).



It was between 4-5 inches long. It was HUGE. I could probably add a couple of inches to my guesstimate size and not have anyone who knows Oregon slugs argue with me.
Really, really HUGE.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No... that's a Blackberry bloom.

I can't remember what those slugs are called, but Banana slugs get larger - up to 12 inches in some cases. Luckily they're actually pretty rare. But they're a bright orange in color.

MK said...

Where do banana slugs live? I'd like to take a picture.
I'm not familiar with banana slugs, but I am too familiar with banana spiders.
And how can you tell it's a blackberry bloom (I believe you, I just don't know how to tell from the picture)?
Thanks for popping in.