Thursday, May 19, 2011

Play Time :)

Everyone needs play time.
Over the past couple of super-busy years, I've almost forgotten how important play-time can be.
I'm on a mission to remember.

First?
A trip to Monongahela National Forest.
I love this old stone work. Most of this type of stone construction dates to the 30s with the alphabet soup of The New Deal; the CCC in particular was responsible for most of these public area monuments.

There's supposed to be a geo-cache here, but I didn't find it (I also didn't post on the cache log at the geocaching.com web site). I've been known to overlook something right under my nose, so me not finding it is not a definitive 'it's not there,' merely a reason to go back later and/or follow along on the cache log.

I did, however, find the first cache in the series, a mini-cache at the turn-off from Rt 33 (onto old Rt. 33). These 6 (I think there are 6?) caches up along the Stuart Memorial Drive are a series place by the Petty Family (Thank You for the Hunt!).

Turning off of Old Rt 33 here:

Next in the PFC series is PFC2 (Coberly Sods).
BUT....this is where I got sidetracked....
 
...I donned the day pack and wandered off into the woods for a couple of hours (Yay for free time!)...


It hadn't yet started raining (yes, this is a presentient statement of what was in store for me at camp that night, all night, and the next morning, too ;)), so it was a beautiful jaunt down a closed forest service road.
No pictures; just take my word for it: No noise, no traffic noise, no nothing except birds and wind and the occasional scurry of a chipmunk or squirrel and the snap of a startled deer or two.


When I made my way back to the car, I was exchanging empty water bottles for full when I realized a few horses had wandered back into this part of the field. I'm not sure why I noticed from so far away, but this is what caught my eye:

I'm not sure if you can see; I'm not sure how I saw....

Ooops.
Sorry.
You have to wait for it.
The next post.... (I have a thing about posting more than 5 pics to a post. It's a pain-in-the-patootie and I don't like to do it. I don't care if Blogger changed their uploading format or not....)....
...will be up soon.....

No comments: