Sunday, May 25, 2008

Spring = Mud

Spring = Mud
Anyone who lives outside the realm of concrete and asphalt knows this is true.

This is one good reason that I am the queen of practical footwear. 'Practical' really means sturdy, comfortable and waterproof:



Screech, however, is not so practical.


To her, springtime means freedom from footwear:



Minimal footwear:



Or cute, pink and girlish footwear:



Screech may not be practical, but she is stylish.

Tracking mud into school is apparently not stylish (maybe someone should have told me this before now).

So, rather than succumb to her mother's boring and mundane solution (boots), she has come up with her own ideas about how to keep the mud off her feet between here and the bus stop:



[Look closely at these pictures and you'll see that I have not been as inventive in the quest to keep the mud out of the house.]

Screech demonstrating the tying-plastic-bag-handles-around-ankle technique:



And the not quite stylish results:



If it doesn't warm up soon, I may suggest adding some sort of practical insulation to these bags to prevent frostbite.


I just discovered a new site -Picture West Virginia- and their current topic is 'Spring,' so I decided to submit this post over there, too. Go check out the robins eggs and cherry blossoms (and if this muddy post gets linked, I'll let you know).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, MK, thanks for playing along!

Susan Chipley said...

That is too funny! A good way to reuse plastic bags too. I checked out your coffee-shop blog. I'm so jealous! We'll make a trip up to check it out when it's open.

MK said...

Thanks for linking it over at Picture West Virginia, Bryan. I plan to keep an eye on your current topics, too, so I can send you some more.

The Dalai Mama - I love your name! And I would love to have you visit when we open.
:)

moneytastesbad said...

I sometimes use a variation of the foot in bag method in the wintertime to keep my feet from getting wet. Instead of putting the bags on the outside of my shoes, I put them on the inside of my not so waterproof boots. It is a good solution if you don't plan on being out in the snow for too long. However, after about 45 minutes, the plastic bags will cause your feet to start sweating something awful and your socks end up just as wetas if you walked in the snow with out shoes (or bags) at all.

Also, good luck with the coffee shop. Looks like you are making some progress. How long have you been working on it? When do you think you will be "Open For Business"? I will make the trip down to check it out when the time comes.

MK said...

I've done the bag-in-boot thing, too, and you're right - it works well. For a short time. And then my feet stink.

As for The 123... We bought the building last summer and spent the first several months fixing leaks and various utilities. Then we destructed the dentist office and finally began to put things back together. I am touching up the paint on the walls and then will prep the floor for tile - after the tile is laid, it's more about actually making it a coffee house as opposed to just a functional space.
We plan to open in September.
Stay tuned. ;)