Saturday, May 3, 2008

Vultures

Of course I like Vultures.


Alright, while we're on the topic of Vultures, I'll tell you the latest about Vultures, my novel.

I didn't make it into the finals of the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award Contest, but placing in the semi-finals was enough to get an agent to actually read the entire manuscript. I'd never gotten past the query-letter-to-an-agent stage, so that was a step forward. And then the agency agreed to represent it. That was a huge step forward.

So-

I have an agent representing Vultures.

I am very pleased.

Yes, I was excited and I still am, but now it's just waiting to see what happens. So, really, it's like having it on the shelf because I'm not working on it. Only this is better because someone else is.
When I know something else I'll tell you.
However, that's not what this post was meant to be about. This post is about Vultures. Black Vultures in particular. Turkey Vultures -the ones with the bald red heads- are the species in Vultures, but around here the Black Vulture is more common.

Here are 3 close-up shots (photo credits to T & S - Thank you!):


T & S went for a hike and came across this young vulture. He perched quietly and watched them watch him.

This last week, before the sun was up much at all, I spotted a big bird in the tree in the front yard.
My picture-taking ability and the strength of my camera leave a lot to be desired, but he's there. Really.

See him?


Did you know that Vultures will not eat rotten meat?
Really. They only eat freshly dead carcasses.
Weird, but true.
We think of Vultures as ugly, nasty birds, but, in fact, they are beautiful and graceful, at least while in the air. They are one of the most common big birds here at my house. I'll snap a few pictures of them flying overhead next time I think of it.
We need Vultures - they're nature's road kill cleaning crew.



No comments: